Saturday, October 21, 2017

Eating Chocolate in Hell

Okay, this is so far fetched but also so bizarre that I felt the need to share.

So, I was looking up some facts about Dante’s Inferno just to see if some eclectic fact sparked my curiosity, and I came across this out-there fan theory concerning Willy Wonka.

So, apparently the 1971 film adaption has some crazy creepy similarities to Dante’s inferno. Firstly, there is Charon and his boat that lead Dante and Virgil into hell, and, if you recall, in Charlie and the Chocolate factory there is that scene on the boat where Gene Wilder sings/yells about rain, snow, hell, and reapers. (I went back and watched it and it is actually pretty disturbing).

Also, all of the kids who go into the factory have some kind of vice (greed, pride, gluttony, sloth, and even Charlie could be accused of envy), and have fates that generally line up with their sins.


The theory is pretty outlandish, but I think it is just eccentric enough to be pretty entertaining.

No comments: