Wednesday, September 27, 2017

The Oedipus Complex

I see Oedipus as a man who hold himself on a pedestal. King Oedipus reminds me of one of my close friends; this said friend like to make himself sound like a savior when he does one good deed. Don't get me wrong, my friend has done some honorable deeds, but their ego goes up a considerable amount after completing one of these said task. When first reading Oedipus, I was immediatly  reminded of my friends ego. Oedipus acts like he deserves to be the king because of his solving of the sphinx's riddle. The solving of the riddle is an extraordinary task that cannot simply be answered by a simple bystander, Oedipus is honorable for completing this task, but the man holds himself up on a pedestal. One thing that I personally believe makes a person actually honorable is that when they do a good deed, they don't acknowledge the fact they've done a good deed. To be truly honorable, i see a person should not acknowledge the quantity or the quality of their good deeds, but rather to do good deeds without expecting praise. Oedipus just labels himself as an honorable man, he's just a mother-lover who puts himself on a god-like status because he solved a riddle.

No comments: