Saturday, September 2, 2017

Final Thoughts on Unbearable Lightness of Being

As we move on from The Unbearable Lightness of Being, I just wanted to say that I greatly enjoyed reading the novel and our discussion of it afterwards. It was probably one of my favorite novels out of any we have read in school. I think it was interesting reading and analyzing a more modern novel in school especially with the interesting form of the novel (such as the metafiction aspects of the work). I also appreciated the great historical depth we went into on the historical context of the work. I think the novel really appealed to me because it told an interesting story in a compelling way but was also very much a novel of philosophical themes and ideas. This led to some interesting discussions in class, especially on issues that seem important and even relevant to everyone's life, like the discussion of kitsch and of living a meaningful life. The ability to examine such themes deeply while also telling an entertaining story really made me enjoy the novel.

So what about you guys, what did you enjoy or not enjoy about the novel?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd have to agree with you that this one of the favorite books to discuss in class, but it was not one of my favorite books to read necessarily. I did not dislike or hate reading the book in anyway but reading it was not anything special in my opinion. I did enjoy how Kundera used each character in the novel to go past the boundary set on us by all of our decisions being final. I also enjoyed many of the comparisons of lightness vs. heaviness to our everyday life written about on this blog. Knowing the history of this novel was pretty crucial to fully understanding the novel so I too appreciate having the chance to learn the history of Czechoslovakia along with the discussion of the novel. From what I have heard not many people I have talked to hated this novel, but I was wondering if anyone did. If anyone did please let me comment and tell me why! Thanks.

Unknown said...

I have to agree with you, Bryce. I really did like this novel because, with its involvement with historical events and modern philosophy, it called for some very insightful discussions in class. The novel also touches on so many different themes and dichotomies ranging from body vs. soul to lightness vs. heaviness to historical impacts to paradise and kitsch, and so on and so forth. With its wide range of themes, I think there has to be at least one topic that resonates with everyone. Kundera really did write a fairly universal novel, and I honestly believe that we could discuss this novel for at least a couple more weeks. So, yes, I did really like this novel.