Sunday, September 17, 2017

Futility

In One Hundred Years of Solitude by Marquez, a sense of futility surrounds Colonel Aureliano Buendia, who loses 32 civil war campaigns and makes gold fishes only to melt them and start again. Today, I experienced a similar feeling of futility.

I was practicing soccer in my backyard until I kicked a ball into a tall tree (it was an atrocious kick by the way), and the ball got stuck between branches on top of the tree. So I got a 2nd ball to throw and knock the 1st ball out of the branches, but the 2nd one got stuck as well. So I got a 3rd ball and knocked off the 2nd ball. Again, I threw the 2nd one and it got stuck. Repeat. I threw the 3rd one and knocked off the 2nd, only to throw it into the branches. When the 3rd ball got stuck, I got a 4th ball and knocked off the 3rd and repeated the previous process. I was throwing soccer balls into the tree for at least 15 minutes until all 4 balls ended up in the branches. So in the end, I lost 3 balls just because of one ball.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jun, I’d like to offer my condolences for your three soccer balls, and I totally did not laugh when I read your post.

I think the sense of futility you experienced here is compounded by what we talked about earlier with 1) the cyclical nature of time, and 2) eternal recurrence.

It seems that your soccer balls literally traveled in circles as you threw up one and then the other to try to knock down the one that was stuck. This action is comparable to how the history of the Buendia family went in circles as well, and how the same event (in this case, the ball getting stuck) keeps recurring in this theory of eternal recurrence. Finally, just as Jose Arcadio Buendia was released from the cycle by death, your soccer balls were (sadly) released from this endless loop by being stuck in the tree. In terms of this concept, we also talked about how, according to Johnston’s interpretation, we have to destroy the false narrative before we can get the true one; as such, everything in Macondo was swept away. In a way, your soccer balls were also swept away from you, although I’m happy to note that you, Jun, did not get stuck in the tree forever. That would be pretty sad.