Thursday, April 29, 2021

This is Goodbye

 As I sit in my second-to-last class of St. Martin's I want to hop on the bandwagon of goodbyes. They aren't permanent, but they'll be bittersweet. We finally made it guys. See y'all at the end of the hallway.

Renee- Renee, we have gone through a journey together. We grew from enemies to friends throughout middle school (thank you cross country), and I am proud of the person you have become. You have never been afraid to let your opinions be known, and I admire your confidence to speak your truth no matter what anyone thinks. Through life events, Happening, and so much more, it has been a privilege to see you blossom, and I can’t wait to see where life takes you. Have the time of your life at Alabama, and expect letters from me.


Abbie- Abbie ice cream. Thank you for always pushing me outside my comfort zone, but as Catherine said, you have always made me feel comfortable in a room. Even when I tried to recede into my bedroom, you always invited me to do things. I can’t thank you enough for those experiences and memories. I have lived more because of you. To both you and Renee, I’m pretty sure I still have that recording of made-up life stories. I think your life will be just as magical as we predicted. We will, of course, be staying in touch.


Rikki- Rikki, Rikki. Rikki, please don’t lose my number. You have always been a girl boss who knows how to get stuff done, and you’re not afraid to be bold and upfront about it. I am truly overjoyed you’re going to UC San Diego. I will desperately miss our could-have-been brunches, but I have a feeling you will get along just fine without me. Stay your true self. And enjoy the California weather for me.


Sofia- Sofia, thank you for advisory, math class, English class, and all the years before. Sometimes I still occasionally think about how teachers used to call us the other’s name in Lower School from the back because we had “similar hair.” I would be honored if someone mistook me for you. You have always been such a calming presence, and I’m so happy about UGA. I always thought you would get in, even if it took a frustratingly long amount of time. Even if you don’t want to be in the spotlight, you’ll always be the magician backstage.


Laura- Laura, you’re the person I think about when I say that I discovered how amazing some people are when you spend even just a little time with them. I shyed away from you freshmen year. You came in and immediately were surrounded by friends. You’re witty, sarcastic, relatable, and say what’s on all of our minds. You’re always going to be somebody’s person, and that person will be very lucky. 


Catherine- Catherine, I seriously cannot wait to hear stories about NYU. In all of our few conversations, you were just so bubbly and amazing and a fashion goddess. Whenever I think about cleaning out my closet, I think of you. You’re intelligent, and I think you’re the kind of person who understands life. You are going to do truly fantastic things in this world, and I can’t wait to see it.


Deryn- Deryn, thank you for being you. Your questions in English and Biology always made me laugh or think deeply. You were always down to eat lunch together or even help me decide which Computer Science class to take. Your inquisitive mind will lead to discoveries and open up a whole new world for you. Enjoy Amherst.


Camila- Camila, we’ve been together for years. You were always happy and sparkly. Thank you for making our France trip so memorable, because YOU are memorable. You’ll bring light and joy into the lives of everyone you meet. After all these years together, I guess it’s time to bid you adieu, but we’ll keep in touch one way or another.


Hunter- Hunter, I knew you were special when you showed me your labelled, color-coded binders in your organized locker. I knew we would be friends at that moment. When you’re not off running the school, we should make time for another round of cards against humanities. You won’t even have to try and teach me math or coding anymore. I’ve known you for less than a year, but I’m really happy I did. Keep on working, cuz.


Adriana- Adriana, you are one of the sweetest, genuinely nice people I’ve ever met. You are hardworking and true to your values, in school, the newspaper, running, and more. You were an awesome teammate, and I can’t wait to see you expand your wings and fly at Tulane. Please come over for another swim and brunch. 


Clara- Clara, you have always been talented, in your dedication to school, music, the list goes on. You’re going to do something worthwhile in life. I hope you keep your obsession with cats, whatever your favorite color is at the time, and alliterations. You’ll never be boring; your personality doesn’t allow it. You’ve got life under way, so enjoy it.


Erica- Erica, I’ve always admired your outfits when I saw you in the hallway, and even this year online. You’ve always had a strength about you, and I hope you carry that with you into college. I wish I had spent more time with you because you definitely have one of those personalities that just make people want to be around you.


Leven- Leven. Where do I begin? Freshman year English and advisory? Late night FaceTime calls where I subtly notify you my parents or siblings are in the room? Little Tokyo gang? Thank you for being loud and outgoing, while still respecting other people’s feelings. I’ll say this, I would go through AP Chem all over again if it meant that you were my friend. We’re hanging out this summer, one way or another. I will bike/drive to your house. I know where you live.


Ms. King- Ms. King, thank you for being the best English teacher we could have asked for this year. You had sympathy for us and let us rant. You let us laugh ourselves hoarse watching the Oedipus film. You were a great teacher, and I’m sad it’s over. We learned but we had fun. Like you said, “This whole year has been a party for y’all.” Thank you for making it a party, Ms. King.

No comments: