Saturday, February 9, 2019

The Metamorphosis and Brother Bear

I just about had a stroke when Anna Beth compared the Metamorphosis and the classic film Brother Bear the other day in class. Since she didn't take the opportunity to write about it on the blog, I will. (that's right Talbot i'm taking yo thunder)
Then, I almost died from finding out Ms. King hasn't seen Brother Bear. I mean, cmon, Ms. King, you haven't seen the Lion King, Brother Bear, and even MORE Disney-Pixar movies that really culturally shape the entire world that we live in today. The way I see it: you've been teaching us all year and exposing us to all of these literature phenomenons that influenced the world in some way or another, so we should be able to spend a couple classes giving that experience back to you- Disney style (I think it's especially fitting considering the cheerleaders recent trip).

Anyway, brother bear- if you haven't seen it (shame on you)- is about a boy who's world changes when his brother Sitka  is killed by a bear. Kenai in turn kills the bear, only to be magically transformed into one himself. To make matters worse, his other brother Denahi vows to kill the bear Kenai has become (thinking it killed both his bros). Kenai's only hope is to get to the northern lights where he believes he can be changed back to a human, and he gets help from a real bear cub, Koda, to get him there. Ugh just typing that put me in my feels and now I'm gonna go watch it after I'm done writing this (my family really does love this movie yall). Anyway, the similarity comes in that Kenai can't communicate with his brother or any other human to get help as a bear- just like Gregor as a bug. Unsimilarly, Gregor's family instantly recognizes him, whereas Denahi only sees Kenai as a ferocious bear.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Also just FYI-- the soundtrack is amazing.

Unknown said...

Anabella, I love brother bear!! And love the comparison made to the Metamorphosis as it points out a key point: the inability to communicate. I think this may relate to a larger point Kafka makes; since the family is unable to understand Gregor, they are able to neglect and eventually forget about him. I wonder what would take place if Gregor retained his ability to speak (would the family still view him as a burden? Would they allow his room to become cluttered and disgusting? Would his death be a relief?)
Furthermore, I agree that Mrs. King should have a Disney-Pixar movie marathon ASAP!!

Unknown said...

Aw, I love that movie too! Defiantly a favorite. There are also three brothers in brother bear, just as the number three is important in the Metamorphosis. Also, Kenai gains an appreciation for other forms of life, and gets in touch with his more emotional side. Just as it took transforming into an insect for Gregor to begin to focus on his emotions and his soul, it took transforming into a bear for Kenai to realize that love and family are extremely important values. Kenai had previously been embarrassed to receive "the bear of love" as his totem, but during his journey, he realizes that emotions and love bind us all together and are beautiful. And as Anabella mentioned, Kenai's other brother tries to hunt him because he thinks it is the bear that killed both brothers; this reminds me of how Grete, in the end, wants to kill Gregor in his insect for and how she thinks it has taken his place, and is not him. I'm glad that in brother bear, the ending results in understanding and happiness!