Saturday, February 2, 2019

Drawing in Class

This past week we got to draw images inspired from our readings on the board; I thought this was so fun and it seemed like everyone enjoyed it. I think it would be awesome if we did this more often! Not only does it make us really examine a piece of the work in detail so we can draw it, but it helps create more appreciation and understanding for what we're reading. I also thought it was really interesting to see what pieces of the poem stood out to different people and how they interpreted it; it was a cool way to get individual insights and ideas. There are so many ways to express one idea or message; the poem itself is one way, just as a drawing is another. And, thee are so many different styles of writing and of drawing, the possibilities are numberless. It was also quite engaging and I think it helped spark more/even more interest in the reading.

3 comments:

Farah Wells said...

I agree, Natalia! I think the different interpretations the class had about the parts of the poem that stood out to us (along with our WIDE variety of artistic skill) brought the literature to life as we read it aloud as a class. I think I comprehended the poem even more so with the visual (drawing) aspect, the auditory aspect of reading the poem aloud, and having the poem in front of me annotating. I would love to do this exercise again.

Unknown said...

I agree, visualizing it brings it into a whole new light and really lets you see the image that the author is trying to put in your head. The image that I drew which was with the demons boozing in the brain was really conveyed when I drew it and saw my classmates rendition of it as well. It’s also cool to see how different people draw the same thing.

Unknown said...

I thought that everyone drawing images was a great way to help us understand the poem at a different level. In a way the drawings showed which stanzas the class thought were the most significant because only a couple people chose images from the first couple of stanzas. However, for the later stanzas, many people chose not only the same stanza but the same image. As someone very interested in statistics, this just stood out to me.