Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Tarot Cards in NOLA

As many of you know, I'm sure, there are many fortune tellers in the Big Easy, a lot of them pitching a table with a decorative table cloth smack dab in front of the St. Louis Cathedral and in front of Jackson Square by the French Quarter. Since my group in class had the stanza in the Wasteland that talked about such fortune readings in giving examples of tarot cards and explaining Madame Sosotris's practice, I thought it'd be cool to reflect upon the fact that such comparable practices are present just about 10 miles away from our school. Therefore, I've included photos below of some readers that are present in front of the Cathedral. Y'all should comment and let us know if any of you have had a reading there or somewhere else and if it compares to anything T.S. Eliot mentioned in the third stanza of his poem, the Wasteland.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have never seen a fortune teller. However, the idea of fortune telling is interesting makes me wonder if Modernists would approve of fortune telling. On one hand, fortune telling, like modernism, is seen as radical as an idea contrary to traditional beliefs. However, a fortune teller is essentially predicting one's future. If they were to be taken literally, then the fortune receiver would follow a traditional path of pretty much knowing their fate at a young age (for example, in the traditional world, a lumberjack's son knowing from a young age that they would become a lumberjack). As a result, their free will, an integral philosophy of modernism, would no longer exist.

Unknown said...

I see them every time I’m in the French quarter, and I’ve always wanted to get my cards read there. I feel like it would just be very vague responses that could be applicable to almost anyone. And all of that for an expensive price. But, it’s an experience nonetheless!