Saturday, February 9, 2019

Kill Gregor! A Freshman's Confusion of Cockroaches

When I was a freshman at St. Martin's, my brother was a senior- one a part of the AP English IV/ Humanities course. I had always heard about the course from him and some friends- the blog, the double lectures, etc- just as you would talk about school like usual with your sibling and parents. One day me and Antonio were playing video games or watching TV, I don't really remember, and a cockroach climbed up a curtain. I hate cockroaches. I hate them more than rats, snakes, spiders, allll that jazz. Cockroaches are the WORST. So naturally I screamed and commanded him to (*trigger warning*) go kill it. Antonio took one of his running shoes and spent like 10 minutes trying to kill the thing while calling it GREGOR. I was confused and horrified, but the whole time was cracking up laughing as he was acting like he was actually in a fight with a cockroach he called Gregor. I really did think he was just being stupid and made it up- it wasn't unusual for Antonio to do something goofy like that. Anyway we went on the next three years calling every cockroach we saw (only when we were together bc college duh) Gregor, and the whole time I thought it was just something stupid and funny he did one random night my freshman year. I thought that up until I went to do homework last Sunday night as I opened my English book to read a story of a man turned cockroach named......wait for it...... GREGOR. To bad antonio had his facts wrong because Gregor was a beetle kinda thing not a cockroach.. but still.

True story.

No comments: