Thursday, February 21, 2019

mythology in literature

Not only did tales of vegetation and fertility inspire modernists like T.S. Eliot, they, along with the rest of mythology, inspired Rick Riordan. Riordan, of course, is the author of not only the Percy Jackson series but also the series of the Kane Chronicles, which were books that I greatly enjoyed in Lower and Middle School. I'm sure many of you can identify with such an obsession. After reading Osiris's myth, I couldn't help but think of the Kane Chronicles' masterpiece of the Red Pyramid, which is the first time I even realized that mythology existed beyond Greece and Rome (in Egypt). Ra, the sun god, was Zeus's O.G. It was great to read the Osiris piece in class today and be able to reflect upon the times I enjoyed such pieces of literature and how more significant literature is also influenced by mythology. Pictured below is the cover of one of my childhood favorites that I've mentioned here (if anyone'd like to read).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I also loved Rick Riordan's books, and reading the Osiris myth made me think of the Kane Chronicles as well! While the more well-known Percy Jackson series incorporates Greek mythology into modern-day life, the Kane Chronicles does the same with Egyptian mythology. In the myth we read about Osiris, Set (his brother) is portrayed as the main enemy. He is the one to trap Osiris in a coffin, throw him in the Nile, and later cut him into pieces. In the first novel in the Kane Chronicles, Set is the antagonist that the main characters (two human teenagers, Carter and Sadie) are fighting against as well. Furthermore, Anubis (Osiris's helper in the Underworld) is a major player in the novels as well (and is later a love interest for Sadie, which is an interesting dynamic). Anytime we read works with mythological elements, most of my prior knowledge comes from Rick Riordan's books, and it brings back fond memories of my crazy lower school reading habits.