Saturday, February 16, 2019

Being a bug must suck

In the Metamorphosis, we see Gregor Sansa, a normal traveling salesman, turn into a a disgusting bug. But what does it mean to be a bug? Well, in Gregor’s case, he is looked down upon by other humans, crawls all over the place, eating nasty food, and no longer sleeps in his own bed. How terrible is that!? Well, guess what? I had a similar experience to this over the past few days!

On Thursday, Friday, and some of today, I got the chance to go to Tulane for a multicultural fly-in program called Bievenue TU. Although I went in expecting a sub par experience and expecting not to interact with many people, I had a fun time meeting new people and doing group activities such as a scavenger hunt across the French Quarter.

This being said, I had a bad time in some aspects. The breakfast for starters, OH WOW. That was terrible. I don’t understand how someone could possibly mess up scrambled eggs! The sauasage patties weren’t good either. The only saving grace was the waffles and that only because it was made in a waffle maker. I had chocolate milk too, hoping that this wouldn’t be terrible. Alas, my chocolate milk had FLAKES IN IT. What! But this wasn’t my only problem. When I went to sleep in the dorms, I had to sleep on the hard floor. The fact that I had a sleeping bag and pillow didn’t help this at all and I was very uncomfortable having to sleep like this. I guess you could say I was sort of like a bug because I sure felt like one!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your subpar dining experience! I've seen pictures at the cafeteria with bugs or "Mini Gregors" (I guess not really because they were just flies) in the food in addition to pictures of undercooked chicken. Thankfully, Bruff, the place where you ate those meals, will be replaced with a new cafeteria by the fall. However, if the cafeteria issues are not because of poor facilities but rather workers, I don't see these problems resolving. Fortunately, there are a variety of locations, on and off campus, with much better food where you could eat instead.

Unknown said...

I feel great empathy for you Rico. I too have felt this way before when I went on a trip to Washington D.C. for the jr.NYLC in 8th grade with Mitchell Halpern. They made us sleep on the floor of the Baltimore Natural Science Museum or something. I only had a sleeping bag and a pillow just like you. Then, they woke us up with "Good Morning Baltimore" blasting from Hairspray blaring on the speakers at 6:30am. I will forever hate this song for that reason. It drives me crazy. After we got up, we brushed our teeth in the museum bathroom. Gross! Then we ate breakfast at the museum cafe. It was terrible! They too messed up the eggs and even the pancakes! Oh my that was not a fun experience. I have never felt more like a bug in my life.

Unknown said...

Rico, I too had a bug like experience this weekend! Maybe it wasn't exaaaactly like the life of a bug, but in the same sense that Gregor was metamorphosed and changed his whole state of routine, I had to as well. Right now all of the stairs in my house are being restained. This has been going on for a week or two, but it hasn't really been a problem up until now: we're doing the main staircase. This set of stairs is the only way into the top floor of my house, in which "houses" (ha- get it?) the bedrooms, main bathrooms and kitchen!!!!! (my house has a weird layout, but just go with it). Anyway so my parents basically said to pack what I needed and we'd live in the guest room for the weekend. I respectfully declined that idea, went to the garage and grabbed a ladder to post against the staircase. Now I have to literally climb a ladder next to the wet stairs and over the balcony to get into the rest (/most important part) of my home

Unknown said...

HAHAHA! I am actually laughing out loud.

Unknown said...

Aw oh no, that doesn't sound fun! I can't remember if anyone has posted about this yet, but have you guys been on the bug ride under the tree of life at Disney world? It's supposed to make you understand their position as small creatures with a lot of things out to get them. This ride used to scare me when I was little because of the moving seats and scary crickets and such, but now I can kind of see it in another light that is also a bit disturbing. The way they made you feel like a bug is by enlarging the normal surroundings, putting you in a dark underground area, and having an animatronic cricket threaten you! Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the ride, hehe. The other little bugs try to gain your sympathy and the room changes based on their special bug abilities or whatever they decide to do. The slightly disturbing part is that the fear aspects and crawling bug seats are totally meant to be fun, but it is a truth for those creatures! I think they are trying to convey that point, but I suppose it's something many people kind of forget about after they leave the atmosphere of the ride.