Saturday, January 30, 2016

It's Tough To Be A Bug

In one of our class discussions this week, we talked about what it means to be a bug and why Gregor might have been turned into a bug. We came to the conclusion that bugs are considered soulless and pests. This discussion made me think of the 4D experience in Disney World called "It's Tough To Be A Bug". The bugs from "A Bug's Life" plus some extra bugs come on screen and describe how hard it is living as a bug because all people try to do is kill you in different ways. So in order to get their point across about how terrible it is and how they do have souls, the bugs try to kill you in the same ways that you try to kill them which is where the 4D part comes in. I personally hate this show/ride/experience and always have. I actually got punished in Disney world when I was younger for throwing a fit so I wouldn't have to go in this show. But I immediately thought of it when we talked about how most people believe that bugs don't have souls and it doesn't matter if we kill them.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

On senior leadership day I had to read my second grade children a story called "Hey, Little Ant". It was about a boy who was going to step on the ant and the ant gives him all of these reasons why he shouldn't squish him. He brings up his family and all that he contribute for the nest and the world and gives bugs a meaning. This obviously made me think of this same discussion because it is yet another case of bugs being given a soul more or less.

Unknown said...

I've never enjoyed this ride either. Especially the part where your butt gets stung by the chair. I actually thought of this too when Ms. King said she's never seen A Bug's Life. Movies like that always make me think differently about life. You think twice about stepping on an ant after you see that movie and realize that every other animal is trying to kill the ants too. It's weird to think of my reaction to turning into a bug. I don't think I could deal with being at the bottom of the food chain instead of the top. It's strange