Thursday, September 10, 2020

The cyclical nature of One Hundred Years of Solitude and the Cyclical nature of This Blog

 We have talked in class about how the book One Hundred Years of Solitude, and we are now starting to talk about the same repetition in Sing, Unburied, Sing. Books are not the only place where we see this repetition. 

I went back to see how far back this blog went, and I noticed something: the posts repeat themselves. They are not word for word, but the topics repeat themselves. At this time last year, people that we know, like Lindsey and Tanner were posting much of the similar topics that we are now and that the year before them already posted. They posted about One Hundred Years of Solitude. I saw posts about the cyclical nature of the book, references to pop culture (like Rikki has already posted) and classical literature. Each class' posts are different, for sure. The pop culture from five years ago seems like old news today. 

The farther back I went, the less I knew the names. Obviously, we can all recognize the names from last year, I even have classes with many of them. Then, the year before them, with Elise, the Picken's twins, and their grade were also recognizable because I ran cross country with them in Middle school and track in high school. They were the NHS leaders when I joined in sophmore year. The grade before that, with Ally, Chloe, and their grade. They were seniors when we were freshman, yet many of their English posts were the same as ours. I think that this blog shows the cyclical nature of the word just as well as One Hundred Years of Solitude does, but the blog is easier to relate to because we write it.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, I think that is really interesting. When we live in a moment, we always think that we are the first to do something. In reality, "nothing is new under the sun." While high school is such a short and unique time for us, for long-time teachers, it is simply the same song to a different tune. The students change, but I am guessing that more often than not, teachers have already discussed the material from all kinds of perspectives and heard the ideas we have "come up with." History is repeating itself, and we are completely unaware of what has come before us. I bet the types and personalities of students even repeat. I sometimes think about that when I am at practice with Mr. Lind and he mentions something that happened at this school twenty years ago. He surely cannot remember every one of the thousands of students he has taught or coached. Twenty years from now will he even remember us? He has played such a large role in my life, but I am just a blimp of time in his.
In One Hundred Years of Solitude, each character is consumed by their own events in life. They often fail to look at the larger picture. Ursula, who was able to see most of the history of the family play out, realizes this issue. She tries to warn her family, but no one listens. Why? They do not think history matters and therefore do not care. Why worry about someone else's past when I have myself to worry about? It is a very short-term way of thinking, but it is mostly likely how the majority of people live their lives.