Monday, September 14, 2020

rambling about my quarantine experience...

    Contrary to popular opinion, I actually really enjoyed quarantine. In the beginning, I was a little overwhelmed with all of the free time I had, and honestly believed that I would be returning to school after those 2 weeks (crazy to think how I thought that was actually going to happen). I also have not seen anyone besides my immediate family since March 13th because of how high risk my brother is. So, I had a lot of time to self reflect. I gave myself A LOT of at-home haircuts, changed up my style a tad, and even got into drawing. It is kind of nice (and soothing) to have so much time to myself. I was never a really ~social~ person, to begin with, so these past 6 months have just been HEAVEN to me because at school, or whenever I was with my friends, like, my social timer would run out so fast and I would just feel completely drained for the rest of the day, but now I DONT HAVE TO SEE ANYONE! Along with changing up my physical appearance, I also started to dive deeper into politics... I know, I know I sound like a "loser," but really, I felt like with the president, all the racial injustices, and constant panics this year has brought to us, I shouldn't just sit around and watch all of this happen. So, I started to educate myself on these matters and had a lot of time to just sulk into the madness of the outside world... *sighs* I just wish people weren't so goddamn ignorant. Ugh, sorry for getting a bit aggresive there for a moment, just things like this really disappoint me. Things really, really didn't have to be like this. It's honestly a bit surreal to watch the world turn inside out... 
                 
                                                                                                ANYWAYS, I had a very interesting and  surprisingly enjoyable quarantine experience, which is technically still going on... maybe I can make this a series or something, like my own personal journal! Hmmm...

   

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel the EXACT same way. It’s been so nice to stay home for so long, but at the same time with so much going on, we can’t go out and physically make change. I know I’ve been wanting to go to protests since June, but haven’t been able to because of my high risk family (and because everyone says I would run towards “trouble” which is not wrong...). So proud of your progress Erica! We love to see our generation becoming more educated on social and political injustices!

Unknown said...

Hi, Erica,

I agree with you that quarantine provided a time for relaxation and self-evaluation. I, too, found myself occupied with various leisurely activities, primarily watching movies and television. Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed the freedom of staying up till 5 AM watching Grey's Anatomy or the Sound of Music; however, as I began to re-acclimate myself into society through work, I realized how detrimental my sleep schedule was on my health. During the first two months or so, it wasn't an issue, but when I began working and had 9 AM meeting (uggh), I would often find myself feeling sick due to a lack of sleep. In essence, the general message I'm trying to convey is that relaxation is good to a point, with that point being the border between leisure and illness.

- Your Student Blog Admin,
Hunter

Unknown said...

Hey Erica,

I can honestly relate to you on soooooo many levels. When all this quarantine started to happen, I figured it would only be for a couple of weeks. 2020 said HA, YOU THOUGHT. But anyways, so many people were complaining and being all sad about having to stay home, but I was literally so happy. Like you mentioned, I’m not really the most -social- person either so for a while I kind of disconnected myself from a lot of people. I didn’t mean it in a rude or mean way, but I just had a lot of time to focus on myself and my family. Obviously, I miss all of you guys, but I can say that I’ve also learned a whole lot about myself that I don’t think I would’ve figured out if it hadn’t been for COVID-19. I have been able to spend a lot of time with my family, which has let me develop closer relationships with them that previously, I just never really had time to, since we were all busy with school , driving back and from the city to home ( i live in Laplace), going to the gym to workout, etc. We all just had busy schedules and only really spoke during dinner time. However, now, we all go on daily walks together, we watch movies, and just spend a lot more time together, which I love so much and am so grateful for.

Ps. I think it would be pretty cool if like you led and ‘Erica’s Corner’ where you talked about a topic a week that we could all give our insights on. For example, what were some of the hobbies you took up on during quarantine. I got into embroidering and sewing, and I actually made a few dresses and cute tops. I also baked a lot, and there was a point where every day after our daily afternoon walk, my family and I would sit outside on the back patio and drink my cookies with some nice cold milk. Yumm.... so yeah. Idk. I think that’d be cool!

Unknown said...

Abigail Beck--
I feel exactly the same. Even though I'm pretty energetic around the people I like, being around people too much drains my energy. I really didn't mind quarantine at first. It meant that I didn't have to go to any social gatherings, AND I wasn't missing out on an experience. However, over quarantine, I think I've grown to miss people much more than I used to. I think that when I had so much time to be by myself, I realized that the best way to help the time pass is to talk to the people I care about (besides my parents who I am around 24/7).
The quarantine brought all the ugliness in me to the surface. My family and I fought a bit, and I had to address the things that had hiding beneath the surface. There was nothing else to think about. I'm glad that I was able to begin to improve myself; however, I am very grateful that we can all begin to see one another again. Except, this time, I feel like the me now is a bit better than the me who went into this whole debacle

Unknown said...

I completely disagree. As I have been forced back into quarantine for the past month-ish, being isolated from what feels like everyone in my life has become a burden that seems extremely heavy.
I don't see how this is enjoyable. It feels like a time where we can't form connections, and we try to continue those connections that we have with artificial ones on social media and digitally. I think that physically, I have never been so rested, but emotionally? I got to a place where I had to pretend that this social distancing is normal, so that I could pretend that everything is OK.
I agree that more free time is nice, but remember that what we are sacrificing for that extra free time is our senior year and our friendships. I didn't realize how awful quarantine is until I got COVID, but it feels awful to be stuck away from all people except family, and I think that when we look back, we will ask where did my senior year go? Why don't I remember my homecoming, ring day, and the myriad of other senior things? Oh, that's right, we didn't have them because we were all stuck at home on our computers, and we lost most of our good memories of what should have been our senior year.

Unknown said...

I think we’re losing all of those things/events at a good cost. If we don’t continue to socially distance and be mindful of this virus, it will never end, and we will probably end up having to do this for even longer.. I understand your frustration with the situation you’re in, but think about the positive in all of this, Renee. That’ll help you get through this.