Saturday, September 26, 2020

Life as a Hispanic Teen

 Hey everyone! So I'm going to talk about something really personal. So, if you don't know, I am Puerto Rican and I'm very proud of it. I would never want to ignore my culture and how I was raised. While I am Hispanic, I don't have the stereotypical "skin color" of a Hispanic person. So I'm a bit paler (which is totally ok!! It doesn't mean you're any less of that the culture you come from), or more white. This can confuse people because of classical stereotypes, so it can be weird trying to fit in between. But, as Hannah Montana said, I'm trying to live the "Best of Both Worlds!" It's always have been weird for some people to believe I am Hispanic and for some Spanish to people to believe that also. However, during Katrina I went to school in Puerto Rico for months while New Orleans was recovering. I also go to Puerto Rico during the summer for two months to live in the southwestern part of the island (the area that is more local and not where all the commerce and big cities are). I would even go during Christmas a lot to spend with my family there. And while I may not have the stereotypical skin color of a Hispanic person (or what is universally thought of it), I am truly Hispanic and I don't regret it!


I relate my experience to Sing, Unburied, Sing because Jojo is mixed and doesn't necessarily fit in terms of being "black" or "white." While I am truly American (being born in LA and being Puerto Rican), I can relate to how Jojo might feel, and how that may affect his experiences in the novel, like being stopped by the police and going to Parchman to see his white dad. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey, Camila! I love this! I'm half Cuban and half Nicaraguan, but you wouldn't be able to tell at a glance. I've been told you can tell I'm Hispanic right away, and I've also been told that I don't look like it at all. Either way, like you, I have a paler skin tone than most Latinxs. I'm guessing maybe my dark eyebrows and features can give it away sometimes lol. But relating to what you said about your experience being similar to JoJo's, in a sense, I feel that way too! I'm extremely lucky to say I've never first-handedly experienced racism like JoJo did, but I do get a feeling of being misjudged or misunderstood often. But not everyone is going to be as considerate and as thoughtful as they should, so I've learned to just brush off these instances. I know I'm a Hispanic and I'm proud, which is all that matters!