Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Shakespearean Conspiracy

As I was thinking about Hamlet, I was wondering whether Shakespeare really truly wrote all of the plays like everyone says he did. Now, there are a ton of conspiracy theories out there on good ole Bill Shakespeare. They range from him being a woman, to him being gay, to him being a group of people that wrote under the name William Shakespeare, to him stealing plays from other people and writing them down as his own. Then I thought about the last one, and decided it really is not too far from true. He technically did just recycle an old play, Amleth, instead of Hamlet. Here are two crazy interesting links on Shakespeare conspiracy theories in case anyone else is interested!
http://content.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1661619,00.html
http://www.nosweatshakespeare.com/resources/shakespeare-conspiracy-theory/

2 comments:

Abbey Sims said...

I'm supposed to be doing a lot of important stuff right now, but I find I get easily distracted by other things. Shakespeare created an extensive portfolio of complicated and famous sonnets and plays throughout his lifetime. I wish I could go back in time and watch him work on creating one of his several masterpieces that are highly revered today. I wonder if Shakespeare became as easily distracted as I do now. But like you said, he really only recycled concepts of plays from other people and adapted them as his own. How much work did Shakespeare actually do himself? Is the reason he wrote so much because everything was already written down for him and all he had to do was write his name on the front cover? I'm not hating on Shakespeare, but is he really as great as the world thinks he is? We students are told not to plagiarize, but a lot of the most recognizable and influential authors in literature did just that.

Unknown said...

The unknown background of "Shakespeare" is something that's always completely baffled me. I never understood how someone so popular and influential has so little definite facts known about him. I guess part of it has to do with the lack of resources during that time since now we have so many more ways to record information. However, we do have the Bible and Jesus's life story sooo.... Regardless, I wish we knew more about Shakespeare. He's a huge contribution to literature and it's weird to think we are lacking a ton of basic facts about his life and that there's so many things about his work that are questioned. There is even a movie about Shakespeare based on his sketchy background called "Anonymous".You can read about it further here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymous_(film)