Saturday, May 2, 2015

Oh, the humanity!

At the end of my Junior year, I automatically began to think about my courses for the next year. I had heard "horror" tales of those who struggled through the Humanities course, and I was unsure if I was ready to face the challenge. I envisioned confusion, dropping grades, and humanity-endused insomnia. I was terrified. I thought I would be so entirely over my head and out of my element. On the first day, I nearly even dreaded stepping into the first classroom on the left. Writing this at the end of the year, I've come to realize all my thoughts and fears were completely outrageous. I entered an environment of understanding teachers, interesting (and manageable) course work, and a fun loving environment full of people who desire to learn. What made our Humanities class so fantastic was the utter desire for knowledge. We would be chapters behind in books, because we would spend 45 minutes talking about one topic everyone kept adding too. Tangents arose, nonetheless (Yes Sri, I'm talking to you. You still can't breast feed. We probably know way too much about your moms love life) but, we loved everyone all the same. Then, I discovered BLOG POSTS *thunder*. I thought, "what am I supposed to write about? I'm not this smart. How can I think of these things?" However, as you read more, the more connections you can make. I would read and connect a character from the beginning and end of the year without even thinking about it. It takes time, but Humanities molds you into a comprehensive thinker and well rounded student. We would talk about Humanities so much in AP Biology, that Dr. Vaccaro would get mad. It was always on our minds. It was always that one 90- 135 minute class we had each day. The people we had in that class we go to know more than anything. We shared notes, made awesome presentations (panic at the discobolus, I'm looking at you), and bonded more than I have with any other class. Recently, I encouraged a Junior girl to take Humanities, when she came to me having the same fears I had had. I told her I had been wrong. I told her to urge students who didn't want to take it to not, because it causes a static environment and obstacles (glad we didn't have any in our class). But that she could really consider it. That it was fun, the teachers were accommodating and nice, and it was one of my favorite classes all year. I sincerely hope she takes my advice. Humanities was truthfully one of my favorite classes all year. I enjoyed doing the work, reading, and bonding with such a wonderful class. We had such a wonderful dynamic, and I really hope we keep our group message going (despite Sri's face swaps). I love you all endlessly, and thank you for making the 2014-2015 Humanities class such a wonderful experience for me.

No comments: