Saturday, April 4, 2015

Love in the Time of Cholera and One Hundred Years of Solitude

I wrote a blog post last week about how I saw many similarities between Love in the Time of Cholera and One Hundred Years of Solitude, but it wasn't until I finished Love in the Time of Cholera and reflected on both novels when I realized how Marquez intertwines the themes in his novel very closely. I think this is what makes Marquez' novels so dense and complex, but by doing this, he makes a statement of how the real world actually is. If you think back on One Hundred Years of Solitude, memory, forgetfulness, the idea of what reality is, and the relationship between he past, present, and future, you can tell how all of these themes are extremely connected to one another. Similarly, in Love in the Time of Cholera, the themes of death, the past's influence on the present and future, the fear of aging, and how time affects and changes love are all very interwoven and relate to each other. I thought that how Marquez connects everything in his novels is really interesting, and although I though it can be difficult to read and understand, this is one of the main reasons why I love and have so much respect for Marquez.

No comments: