Saturday, April 4, 2015

Guildenstern and Pangloss

When we were reading Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, I began to notice similarities between Guildenstern and Pangloss. At first, I though Guildenstern's endless philosophizing reminded me of Pangloss and his incessant, unhelpful philisophy. But, as we kept reading, I began to see Guildenstern's as more of an attempt to understand the situation, and Pangloss' as attempting to fix the situation. His seemed more of an attempt to show his wit than to understand the circumstances.   Any thoughts?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think this comparison is really interesting and something that I didn't think of. I think that Guil's constant wit shows how he is completely unaware of who he is or what exactly is going. Because who is is not under his control, like you said, Bonnie, Guil is constantly trying to attempt to understand his situation; however, I think that this proves impossible since Shakespeare created him. Because he is simply a character, he is merely a puppet that has no deep understanding of what is going, and I think that that is the role that the readers play. The characters portray different ideas, concepts, and situations only, and the reader must extract the meaning and symbolism behind the acts. The constant questioning of Guil and Ros portray their quest to try to find who they are and understand their surroundings since they cannot.