Saturday, April 4, 2015

Brave New World Review

For my IS, I read Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. In the book, Huxley gives us a view of a dystopian society so far different from our own society that it serves to shock the reader into discomfort (or at least for me, splitting one embryo into 96 identical siblings made me queazy). The society uses a form of brainwash via repetition of phrases to guide each person into a specific caste of society. The result is that each member of the socially engineered populace is entirely content with what they are doing. After giving much more detail that serves to further separate current society from his fictional one, he introduces Christian symbols to make the point that any massive social movement isn't so different from the one he's invented. At Church, we repeat a predetermined list of praises to God, we cycle throught the same practices every year, etc. he goes as far as to say that "religion arises from adversity" (paraphrase). As a relatively devout Catholic (don't bring up the coffee incident, MUNers/Mrs. Quinet), this claim made me feel uncomfortable, but I've always found that I think best when I'm out of my comfort zone. I know a few of you have read the book, any thoughts?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I read this book myself a while ago and absolutely loved it. It's a really weird combo of ideas that we think absurd (worshiping Henry Ford) and predictions that have become true (e.g. birth control). If you're in the mood for a thought-provoking yet incredibly uncomfortable assessment of modern society, then this is the book for you. Note: Not appropriate for those who dislike Shakespeare.