Saturday, January 14, 2012

Madame Bovary

I thought that Flaubert's novel Madame Bovary was a very interesting one. The story seemed like one that could have been written way back during Euripides or Virgil's time. The main character, a female, commits adultery many times and eventually dies a horrific death. There is a moral aspect which is supposed to teach us the adverse effects of adultery, which was a much bigger deal many years ago. Women were killed for disobeying and decieving their husbands. I coul be wrong, but I though the novel was somewhat uncharacteristic to the other works of the time.

2 comments:

Christine Catinis said...

Yeah they talked a lot about distinction of classes. For example in the agricultural fair they talk about the peasants as If they're animals, even going so far as to call them a "herd".

ParkerC said...

I think it was very different for the time it was wriiten as it was targeted by censorship. I dont even think people would have thought Euripedes Madea too bad. I think the prevelance of religion made people question art as being scandolous or bad.