Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Thanksgiving

 

The holiday based upon being thankful and grateful which began because of the pilgrims settling on Plymouth and celebrating that the Native Americans had finally taught them how to live off the land. I understand in the 1950s this holiday was something of immense pleasure and pride within America and everyone sat down and had their cranberry sauce and turkey with any Expressions as we celebrated this country’s ”founding,”  Alas!  It Is 2020 and we are still celebrating this holiday that is obviously now seen as a celebration of European colonizers bringing epidemics to the Native Americans which would later Wipe Out the colonies, and those that survived the plagues they brought upon the indigenous people of America would soon realize that the European colonizers would enslave them and take their land. Yet we still find it okay to eat our turkey legs, which wasn't even what they did on the first Thanksgiving Day and talk about what we're thankful for. I am baffled.  Why hasn't cancel culture canceled Thanksgiving? Only then will I be thankful.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey, Deryn! I also think it's interesting how we choose to celebrate Thanksgiving. I know there's been some controversy, especially in the last few years, about holidays that may glorify the displacement of Native Americans (like how we changed Columbus Day to Indigenous People day). Speaking of the plague that wiped out a large segment of the population, what do you think will be the effect of Thanksgiving on COVID? I read that the Sunday after Thanksgiving was the busiest travel day of 2019… I suppose we won’t see the effect for a little while more, though. Also, I know that cases are rising, but I think that, as the media loves to say, it is the younger people that are going out and getting infected. So, I think the hospitalization rates will be lower because the younger just self-quarantine and are mostly fine. I think the older and at-risk people are staying at home, so increased travel won’t affect them as much (I hope).
I also think that it’s smart how colleges went online from Thanksgiving to Christmas. Since everyone was going home, just have them stay there for a month. It’s only 2 to 3 weeks or so for them between Thanksgiving and Christmas. What happens when they return to campus in January remains unseen.
I hope a vaccine comes out soon. I know we all love to complain about how all of our senior privileges have been taken away, but I feel bad for the class of 2020, because now they’e having a sucky first year of college. Most of us probably dream of going to college and exploring new things, and they really can’t, or at least not in the same way. Hopefully things will start to get better. Anyways, it is quite fascinating to examine Thanksgiving over the years.