Friday, December 4, 2020

Early College Applications Done

 Hey guys! I just thought I'd "celebrate" that I'm done with all my college applications for the early season! I'll probably be applying to more regular decision (if I can force myself to write more essays), but as of now, I'm done and don't have to worry about it until after exams at least (wouldn't be able to write essays during exam week anyways...). So yay me! I think most of us are done till January, and if you want to share your experience, feel free! The waiting game shall begin. 

Also, why is applying to colleges so expensive? I don't really get it. Why is there an $85 application fee? I get schools have to pay admission counselors, but still, that can really add up. And what is the point of paying to send ACT and SAT scores? The website just presses submit; I doubt that much more work goes into it, but I suppose I could be wrong. 

On a happier note, indoor track season is starting! The weather is so much nicer than during cross country season, and now I got to wear all my long-sleeves! When the girls' soccer team gets back from quarantine on Monday, I'll see y'all out there! Have a great weekend everyone!!

    

3 comments:

Catherine Ronquillo said...

Hi Izzy! I'm so, so proud of you! I just finished all my applications today, and it honestly feels like the most rewarding feeling. After last week, I really didn't know if I could get through another essay. What schools did you end up applying to and did you apply anywhere ED? Most of the schools I applied to are in California and New York because I would really love to be in a big city. I'm hoping one of them works out because that would just make me insanely happy. I also completely agree with you on the price to apply. The fact that there even is a fee seems a little unfair to me, considering there's a chance we won't even get in. I think the fee for USC was around 95 dollars which I thought was a little crazy. I could have easily gotten like 4 shirts with that money but that's not really the point. Anyway, I'm so excited for you and please keep us updated on your admissions and applications! I can't wait to see where you end up going :)

Unknown said...

Hey Izzy,

Congrats on applying to your schools! I finished about 2 weeks ago, and honestly, waiting for the decisions is so stressful. I wanted to talk about something you and Catherine touched on. Can we please talk about how ridiculous the fees are? I spent so much money on these and it really bothers me that we pay to apply. I know for a fact I spent over $500 on applications for my 8 schools; I literally applied to Tulane just because it's FREE. I think more schools should think about doing that. I looked it up and they said they wanted their school open to those who can't afford to pay for the fee, and I think that's a really good step in the right direction. It's such a good school and I think they're setting an amazing example for others. Think about how many brilliant students don't get to go to amazing colleges because of financial situations. Paying for education in general deeply bothers me, and I think it's something that should be talked about more, so thank you for mentioning that so I could add a bit of my opinion on the whole "free education" topic.

Unknown said...

Hey Isabella. Great job on submitting everything. I just finished my applications, and I agree, why are there so expensive? I pay application fees for colleges I might not even be going to, and the fees themselves are so expensive. I thought when everyone was talking about how expensive college is, I didn't even realize it was so expensive applying. I was so mad about the fees. If they are doing that, they should at least make the fees the same amount. I had to pay fees that range from $40-$70! That's crazy to me, but I am happy I have everything pretty much done with.