Saturday, November 11, 2017

Polonius

As we discussed in class on Wednesday and Thursday, Polonius is a character that often seems to not be as a smart as the other characters. When talking to Laertes, Polonius begins rambling off cliche after cliche as advice to his son. Even in the movie, to me at least, he seemed simple minded and served as a bit of comic relief. When hearing Polonius list all these cliches, the first thing that came to my mind was a Progressive Insurances commercial about a "Dad support group." I've seen this commercial many times on youtube videos and on TV, and my favorite part is when one dad quips "All of a sudden, I'm telling strangers 'defense wins championships.'" Another dad then says in response "Well it does." This is one of my favorite parts, because I know I've heard that remark quite a few times. All the dads seem to be in the support group for turning into their dads by wearing and saying many of the things their dads did. Polonius seems like he might fit right in with his cliche sayings. I'd just thought I'd share this with you, because this is one of my favorite commercial at the moment. There is a link to the commercial below if you'd like to take a gander.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9YPwCiWE28

No comments: