Saturday, November 11, 2017

Hamlet in Freaky Friday

While we have been reading Hamlet, I keep thinking of that one scene in the movie Freaky Friday where Mr. Bates gives a Hamlet pop quiz. Anna, the main character, offers the interpretation that Hamlet may not be actually seeing his father's ghost, but is, in fact, completely mad. Ultimately she gets an F for "overreaching."

I can see how the play may be interpreted this way. It may be far-fetched considering the guards who originally saw the ghost, but Hamlet himself isn't exactly a stable character, which makes him all the more suitable as the protagonist of a revenge tragedy. I'm sure his uncle marrying his mother would stir up fair amount rumination on his father's death as well. So, while I don't think Hamlet is completely out of it, I could see how he may be holding onto his father's apparition.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am glad you brought this up because I love hearing about theories based on famous pieces of literature. One must think, could Hamlet actually have been seeing his father as a form of PTSD? Was this Shakespeare's intention? I love stories that have some sort of underlying psychological value, so reading up on some of the theories readers propose, give stories a new intricate plot based on the human psyche. Thanks for the thought candy LIz!