Saturday, November 18, 2017

Hamlet and EVEN MORE Pop Culture

There has been a couple post already talking about Hamlet and pop culture, but due to Shakespear's influence, there are still tons more that we haven't talked about. Shakespear is so widespread that there are even tons of references to Shakespeare and his words in rap lyrics. Here are a few that I found.

1) Hamlet

"To be or not to be" may be the most famous line ever, so obviously there would be some use of this line in rap. Here are a few.

"To be or not to be
 That's the question,
 you feel me?"
- Puff Dady

"To be or not to be?
Last words from
Shakespeare"
- Wycleaf Jean

"To be or not to be
Sh*t
I don't know my decision"
- Lil Wayne

2) Macbeth

Another one of Shakespeare's most famous plays, so there is sure to be plenty of references.

"Something wicked,
This way comes"
- 2Pac

3) Shakespeare himself

"See,
I'm a poet to some,
a regular modern day
Shakespeare"
- Eminem

"Now I'm blessed
with the finesse
to express
like Shakespear"
- Nas

"The Shakespear of 16s,
I'm dipping my ink pen"
- Danny Brown

In this last one from Danny Brown, he is comparing himself to Shakespeare, but he says he writes 16 bars instead oh Shakespeare's 14 line sonnets.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.