Saturday, November 11, 2017

Crazy Mirror Throne Room

I found an interview with Kate Winslet and Kenneth Branagh, who not only played Hamlet but also directed the film and served as the screenwriter. If Ms. King or Ms. Quinet mentioned this in class while I was absent, I apologize for the late discovery made on my part! Anyway, both actors discuss the film and the broad range of issues it deals with and how they interpret their own characters. They also discuss the mirror scene, which we did not get to in class on Thursday, and the difficulties of filming such a scene. I think Kate Winslet said, "Why did we make a mirror room?" or something like that. Shakespeare's plays can be complex for some people and I liked the way Kenneth Branagh sort of, or at least tried to, sums, or sum up, so many different elements together. Here's the interview for anyone who wants to watch it.

No comments: