Friday, February 17, 2012

Teenage Wasteland

Okay I had a hard time finding something to blog about this week, but then I remembered something I had been really curious about when we first started reading The Waste Land. I lovee that song Baba O'Riley by the Who (some people know it as Teenage Wasteland). A lot of you have probably heard it because its often played in movies. Anyway, I was curious if that was a reference to T.S. Eliot's poem. With some research I found that some people think it is, and some say that the correlation does not go beyond sharing a common word (they even spell wasteland differently...) However, I think that the lyrics in Baba O'Riley kind of sound like they're dealing with trying to get out of a depressed state of mind (..maybe ennui or something too?)

The exodus is here
The happy ones are near
Let's get together
Before we get much older.


Striving to be happy and find human connection before you get too old sounds like something that is dealt with  in T.S. Eliot's poem. Maybe there is a correlation. ...Also they might have used wasteland as a play on words with the term "wasted". I don't know, tell me what you think.

2 comments:

Ravin S said...

Yep, great song (saw them perform at the Super Bowl - be jealous). I definitely agree that they are talking about connecting when they say "let's get together". People kind of have to stick together if there is some kind of end in sight. They must find happiness somehow, otherwise they will just die a sad and lonely death.

Christine Catinis said...

I can understand why some believe that it has to do with Eliot's poem. But as you said Meredith, "striving to be happy and find human connection before you get too old sounds like something that is dealt with in T.S. Eliot's poem". I don't think that Eliot's Wasteland deals with the concept of finding connection before you're too old. I think it's just focused on finding any sort of connection period. Because in his Wasteland, happiness and human connection are nonexistent. But then again, who knows?