Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The 21st Century Waste Land

Today in class while we were discussing The Waste Land, Parker pointed out that Stephen King often references the poem. This made me curious and I began to wonder what other modern things reference The Waste Land. I did a google search but it mostly gave me things that influenced Eliot and not vice versa as I'd hoped. However, after some fishing (pun intended) i found a decent website that told me that many 21st century punk bands draw inspiration from The Waste Land. Who would've thought?

http://students.english.ilstu.edu/restrap/351/repurposing/punk.html

3 comments:

ParkerC said...

Yea in one particular series the main character is a fisher king type character. There are tarot cards. He quotes the wasteland directly in the beginning of the book, which actually made me read it at the time. Also my favorite band quotes the waste land a lot in their newest album

alyb said...

There is also wasteland references in George Martin's series A Song of Ice and Fire. The fisher king is a main character referred to as bran or "Bran the Blessed")This character was thrown out of a window and now he is paralyzed from the legs down (aka he has a wounded leg/groin) I think a lot of fantasy authors draw from The Waste Land.

sara pendleton said...

It totally remember (from way back in 4th grade) Lemony Snicket quoting the bit from the wastlands which goes: "at the violet hour when the eyes and back turn upward from the desk and the human engine waits like a taxi throbbing waiting." I don't remember exactly the context of it, I just kind of half remember reading about secret messages that were hidden in quotes from famous poems...