Friday, December 13, 2019

The Ending!!!

I just wanted to make this post to gauge your opinions on the ending of Hamlet. In my opinion, it was a pretty satisfying ending, as justice was served in Claudius’ death. However, it was quite sad to see characters who were not necessarily evil, like Rosencrantz and Guildenstern and even Gertrude, die in the final scene. Further, Hamlet’s death was very surprising, but I understand that it was bound to happen due to the play’s label as being a tragedy. What do you guys think of the ending, though? Was it sufficient or should there have more or fewer deaths?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I’m indifferent about the ending for a couple reasons. Yes, I’m relieved justice was served in Claudius’ death, but many innocent people die in lieu of Hamlets revenge. Gertrude ultimately wasn’t evil, she was the victim of lust and manipulation. I also don’t think Laertes death was beneficial to the plot of the story. He was driven my revenge and the sadness of losing his loved ones. He was a victim of madness, alike Hamlet. Nether of these characters deserved to die.
On another note, although Rosencrantz and Guildenstern weren’t “bad” people, but they still had bad intentions. They went behind their best friends back, lying to him and spying on him. So in contrast to your opinion, I wasn’t saddened by their deaths