Saturday, December 7, 2019

Oh, Ophelia...

As we all know, Ophelia is Hamlet's love interest, but also the name of a song by The Lumineers. This song is loosely related to the actual character but has a whole lot of love in it. "Oh, Ophelia, heaven help a fool who falls in love," is a recurring line in the song that I think signifies Ophelia's foolish, innocent love she had for Hamlet. Another line in the song is, "I don't feel no remorse, and you can't see past my blinders," which reminds me of the scene in Hamlet when Ophelia was told to reject Hamlet's love and in return Hamlet just went off on her. Overall, very good song with a deeper meaning than I thought. Highly recommend. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTOC_q0NLTk

2 comments:

Unknown said...

One might also say that line “heaven help a fool who falls in love” could be about Hamlet because this called “The TRAGEDY of Hamlet Prince of Denmark”

Unknown said...

There is also a song called "Dear Ophelia" by a band called Abney Park. It is based on the Tragedy of Hamlet and the lyrics clearly show it. I will leave the link to the lyrics below, but it is obviously based on the play right from the start. The first stanza is, "Dear Ophelia, I love you dear, I am sorry that I haven't been here, Dear Ophelia, you know I'm hurt, It's been two whole months since he was laid in the dirt." From this first stanza it seems that the song is written in the perspective of Prince Hamlet and he is speaking/singing to Ophelia. Also the line about the man who was laid in the dirt definitely has to refer to King Hamlet. Because the line before talks about how Prince Hamlet is hurt and it is because his father has died, hence being "laid in the dirt." What do y'all think?

lyrics: https://genius.com/Abney-park-dear-ophelia-lyrics