Saturday, December 14, 2013

Reading for the Win

On the day we ditched Candide for fifty minutes of sweet conversation, we briefly discussed the benefits of reading. It made me think of this article by the Huffington Post I read a few months ago-
 "7 Unconventional Reasons You Absolutely Should Be Reading Books."

My Favorite Reason: "...intellectual activity strengthens the brain against disease." Another one of my favorites: reading can "chill you out." There has never been a time in my life that I've needed to chill out more than now #seniorprobz.

The full article is really interesting. If you're not already a dedicated reader, it just might convert you.

Currently Reading: We the Living by Ayn Rand and I already love it and her. Creds to Father Milican for telling me about it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That was a really interesting article! I had no idea that reading could help prevent Alzheimer's. I think the article is probably pretty true because I try to read a little every night before I go to sleep, and I find it much harder to sleep when I don't. As I mentioned in an early post I'm currently reading Catch-22, and I really enjoying it. It's good to know that reading is healthy for both one's body and one's mind.

Unknown said...

I definitely agree that reading is a good idea. I think that part of the reason that writing is so hard for some people is that they never read. (Remember the dismal statistics from The Dumbest Generation?) Good writing is never easy, but if you have nothing to go off of--that is, if you don't understand how words are normally used, or how sentences are supposed to flow--it's probably more or less impossible.