Friday, September 27, 2013

Confucius Says....

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance is a willful neglect or refusal to acquire knowledge. Having no ignorance means the perspective or consciousness has become one with all there is. An example of this would be considering yourself a genius, and not realizing that there are thousands of people smarter than you.

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. 

We have to experience something ourselves in order to really understand it. If we hear something, it must be interesting. If we see something, it must be beautiful. For example, picture yourself losing someone or something you love. Can you know this by hearing or seeing it? Or do you have to experience it yourself before you truly know it?

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it.

Confucius asks us to drop our way in which we see the world, usually distorted by our wants and beliefs. We must look at things as they truly are. If we are able to do this without judgment, we can see everything in nature as it should be. This natural state of perfection is beauty.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand."
I especially agree with this statement. I have trouble learning from another's mistake. In order to learn a lesson, I usually have to make the mistake myself. It is difficult for me to see something as beautiful unless I have experienced that beauty. I completely relate to this statement.

Brooke M. Hathaway said...

I think the third idea is quite similar to the ideas of Plato. Plato believed the Forms were accessible, but not everyone has the ability to access them.

Brooke M. Hathaway said...

(Continued) people are constantly distracted by the material world.

Amy Clement said...

I definitely find the most meaning and significance to my life in the first idea.

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

Blindly pushing forward against all odds and refusing the help of others gets you no farther in life. I started to realize this year that as much as I pretend I have it all under control, it's just not possible. The real strength is knowing when to ask for help. Instead of being embarrassed about not knowing how to handle a situation, I figured out that going to others for guidance results in a learning experience and a much better outcome, not judgement. Everyone needs help sometimes and the first step in helping others is knowing how to help yourself.