Saturday, January 20, 2018

The Trolley Problem continued

I read Jun's post from yesterday, and it reminded me of a youtube video I watched a while back. A group of people set out to try to test the trolley problem on unsuspecting people. They pre filmed videos of a train approaching a split in the tracks, one which would kill one person and another which would kill five people. The subjects were taught how to switch the tracks for the train, and then left alone in the room with the lever as the train approached the split in the tracks. It would logically make sense to make the train run over the one person instead of five, but overthinking and tehir indecisiveness caused some subjects to let the train run over the five. I won't spoil the whole video in case some of you wish to watch it for yourself. I'd highly reccomend it, as it was a pretty interesting video.

No comments: