Saturday, January 27, 2018

First Thing That Comes To Mind

My mother thinks Freud was brilliant. When I asked her what first came to mind when she thought of Freud, she basically said (I shortened it because her reply was a little lengthy and I'm lazy:), "The concepts of ego and superego and the Oedipus complex." When I asked my stepbrother the same question, his reply was....simpler than my mother's. "He's all about sex and that stuff." My mom scolded him for not having more to say, but given that they're currently watching a movie and my stepbrother's a geologist, not a humanity scholar, I don't blame him for his answer. After all, Freud is arguably best known for the sexual attributions to his work and numerous criticisms have been made in regards to the factuality of his theory on human psychosexual development. If you don't do a lot of digging, I guess sex is all that some people see on the surface.

No comments: