Friday, January 12, 2018

Baudelaire, Anywhere out of the World

Baudelaire's "Anywhere out the World" has made me mull over my experiences in different countries. The speaker of the poem contemplates the move that he must make in order to improve his state, and he asks his soul whether he should move to different cities. The soul answers, "Anywhere! Just so it is out of the world!"

Having lived in five countries, I found this poem relatable because I have sometimes wondered if I would have been better off if I had lived in other countries than those I have lived in. While I am certainly grateful for having had this foreign experience (and learned a lot of things from it), I sometimes feel like I have missed out on things that I could have experienced if I had not moved so frequently, or if I had moved to other places.

However, I have realized the importance of focussing on what is actually around me. Also, I find it extremely crucial for some people to be grateful for their own states, whether they are satisfied or not. Because when people take their states for granted and do not understand that many others are more unfortunate than themselves, things like the President's remarks yesterday are spat.

1 comment:

Margot Scott said...

“Tell me, my soul, poor chilled soul, what do you think of going to live in Lisbon? […] Not a word. Could my soul be dead?”

I guess this is the conversation people have with themselves if/when someone else doesn’t ask them how they feel about moving, or about some other event or occurence that can’t be changed for one reason or another.

What you said rings close to home. While reading Baudelaire’s poem, I thought back to the number of times I’ve moved and asked myself the same questions. Granted, I don’t know what it’s like moving from country to country, but regardless, moving around can be difficult under any circumstances. I’m still learning how to stay in the present myself! It’s not always an easy feat but senior year’s given me a chance to reflect on my past experiences without much fear because college is certainly something to look forward to. It’s a move that many of us are, myself included, excited to make. But until then, like most of us (I hope), I’m enjoying my general surroundings and spending time with friends, family, acqaintances, etc.

And although I sometimes envy those who’ve had, in some instances, the ‘luxury’ of stability, I take care to remember that life isn’t a walk in the park for everyone because I mean, we all understand/know things that others don’t since we’re all different. Which, and get this, is what makes us the same. Sorryyy, that sounded like a quote you might find on the edgy part of tumblr or google images (look up 'hipster life quotes' if you feel like tapping into your bored inner-middle schooler).

Anyway, this poem is incredibly relatable and, likewise, I’m grateful for
where I’ve been despite what I may/may not have missed out on! M’also grateful you blogged this, Jun.

“Let us go farther still to the extreme end of the Baltic; […] let us settle at the Pole.”