Thursday, October 3, 2013

Augustine

Quotes I liked from Augustine:
"Our only pleasure in doing it was that it was forbidden" (908).
"I was in love with love" (909).
"And I did fall in love, simply from wanting to" (909).
"The study of law, in which I meant to excel--and the less honest I was, the more famous I should be" (909).
"They were rightly called Overturners, since they had themselves been first overturned and perverted, tricked by those same devils who were secretly mocking them in the very acts by which they amused themselves in mocking and making fools of others" (910)."

Other noteworthy excerpts...
-Augustine mentions "this or that" when he tries to separate himself from the lustful women (914). I'm still a confused about what he's saying though, so I'm not sure if we can make any connections to Chuang Chou's "this or that". But when I read it, making that connection was my first response.
-I found it interesting how he interprets the sign of the child's voice coming from the nearby house. Why did he interpret the message as "open the bible to a random page and wherever your eyes land first, those are the words you should follow!" It seems kind of silly to me. In fact, I find the whole paragraph kind of silly.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I highlighted a few of those quotes in my book as well.
A few quotes that interested me were...
"It was a good from them that I received good from them, though I received it not from them but only through them: since all good things are from You.” 903
“I was rightly punished as a boy for playing with a ball: because this hindered my progress in studies—studies which would give me the opportunity as a man to play at things for degraded.” 905
“Our only pleasure in doing it was that it was forbidden.” 908
“Now when a man suffers himself, it is called misery; when he suffers in the suffering of another, it is called pity.” 909
“But I used that book not for the sharpening of my tongue, what won me in it was what it said, not the excellence of its phrasing.” 910

Miranda Martinez said...

I love the first quote. It really shows the "primal" instincts of humanity before conversion or baptism. In the beginning he let himself do whatever he wanted, purely for the pleasure of doing it. It seems that he didn't really know what was right until he was converted. That's when everything fell into place, and he realized that God had willed every move or decision he had made or would make.