Friday, May 3, 2013

AP Exam Prep

I plan on preparing Hamlet, A Clockwork Orange, and either The Tin Drum or The Unbearable Lightness of Being. I really enjoyed reading these four pieces and I feel that I understand them enough to write effective AP essays on them. Although I normally don't like Shakespeare, Hamlet was my favorite play we read this year. Having just written a massive paper on A Clockwork Orange, I feel that it would also be a good choice for my AP essay preparation due to its several themes involving the futility of imposed control on an individual and the tendency for society to force conformity among its citizens. I still have to choose between The Tin Drum and The Unbearable Lightness of Being. The Tin Drum is eccentric and overflowing with tons of good themes and metaphors to use, while The Unbearable Lightness of Being is more philosophical, using several abstract ideas and metaphors to define the characters' relationships and views on life and being.

No comments: