Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Who Was the Woman Who Flirted with Dante?

I bet you’re dying to be sure of the juicy details of Francesca de Ramini’s and Paolo’s lives. Here’s what I found out:

They lived during the same time as Dante. (They were historical contemporaries.)
In 1275, Francesca got married to “the brave, yet crippled Giovanni Malatesa.” In English class today, we talked to how their marriage was arranged, but why? Francesca’s father had been warring with Giovanni’s family, and Francesca was a peace offering. As we know, Francesca got all cozy with Giovanni’s brother, Paolo, and things only escalated from there. (In fact, Paolo was married as well!) Paolo and Francesca kept their affair a secret for TEN YEARS! Unfortunately, they both met a tragic end when Giovanni “surprised them in the bedroom” and preceded to end their lives. This story made me think: is love worth dying for? I think in some cases yes. Also, I guess they didn’t know they were going to die. Still, they were willfully committing sin. What do y’all think?
And then I also thought: is love worth going to Hell for? I think most of us would argue that no, it’s not. Why would you do something during your earthly, transient, and short life that would affect you eternally? At the same, though, you have to wonder: if Francesca and Paolo were simply thinking and desiring immoral and lustful thoughts, they likely would’ve gone to Hell anyway (in Dante’s opinion, of course). I think our actions really should be distinguished from our thoughts and desires; they ultimately make us who we are. I’m not sure Dante would agree, though.

Cool Art: (I’m kind of on an art kick lately!)


Paolo & Francesca smooching: Painting by Rossessti (1867)


Depicts Dante fainting after hearing their fate: Painting by Doré (1857)



Francesca and Paolo dying: Painting by Cabanel (1870)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francesca_da_Rimini