Saturday, November 17, 2018

Dante's guide to Florence

In case you all did not know, I'm going to Italy this summer. I'm actually stopping in Florence, so I decided to see what landmarks were Dante related to see if I wanted to add anything to the itinerary. So I decided to share my findings.


Dante's house and museum


Dante's death mask, on display at the Palazzo Vecchio

Image result for santa margherita de' cerchi
santa margherita de' cerchi church. This is where Dante first saw Beatrice at the age of 9 and fell in love with her.

Image result for Sasso di Dante
sasso di dante. This means Dante's stone. Dante used to sit on this stone and write many of his poems

Image result for the bargello
The bargello. This used to be the headquarters of the city council of Florence, and this is where Dante's exile became official. It is now a museum.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

(not my official post) that's exactly how I pictured Dante looking!! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Sophia, thanks for sharing such good visuals. I think the important thing to understand that we sometimes forget because of context is how radically important Dante was in the society in which we lived and how comparatively to modern day, Dante's exile from Florence would be a scandal, to say the least. It's interesting to think about what Dante's piece would be like if it were published today. I wonder who would be in his circles of Hell and if the religious tension that came about due to his piece would be so prevalent. I personally believe that unfortunately, if Dante's piece was modern, it wouldn't be such a significant attribute to global society (specifically Western society). This, according to me, would largely be due to the fact that written literature isn't as highly revered today as it was when the Divine Comedy came about. Not everyone would read, and therefore, the talk that came about due to Dante's original publication would most likely, be null and void.

Farah Wells said...

Gabby, I think you bring up an excellent point I would have to agree with. I don't feel as though the religious aspects of The Divine Comedy would be as appreciated today. Florence's political climate during Dante's time drove this work, but I can't help but think the political climate of ours would drive more criticism if anything. I would also like to know who he would put in his circles if he were to write it now, though. That would be an interesting read, in my opinion.