Saturday, November 10, 2018

Dante’s Lost Tenth Circle!? (Not really)

I was doing some research on Dante’s inferno and upon doing so, I found something that could make a great 10th circle of hell. I’m sure this article isn’t really true with it saying that archivists found a lost canto but I’d still like to share it because it’s an interesting idea for a 10th circle. This is sorta a spoiler about the 9th circle of hell, but, the 9th circle is a frozen lake with 4 sections (depending on seriousness of sin): an outermost circle, a outer middle circle, an inner middle circle, and an innermost circle. All the residents of the 9th circle are frozen in this lake eternally. The 10th circle’s sinners are in what seems a worse punishment than this. The sinners of the 10th circle are all made up of professors who either have their heads up someone else’s butt (literally) or having someone’s head up theirs. This makes their butts swollen and every person is described to be covered in excrement. One person even has their head up their own and goes with a certain expression we all know. Now, I know what your thinking. This is more humorous than anything. But, I find it’d be a nice fit into the circles of hell because this is a very undesirable punishment to have. The tone is perfect and Dante the Pilgrim describes himself being terrified at the sight of the sight of these people. He says he would rather endure the other circles of hell than this. What do you think? I suggest you give it a read.

Source: https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/dantes-tenth-circle

1 comment:

Farah Wells said...

I cannot say I expected your blogpost to go this way upon reading the title. I am not sure how I feel about this canto as the level of sophistication from Dante doesn't seem to be the same from what I've felt I have read so far of the Inferno. However, it is quite amusing and intriguing what the archivists found and the idea it proposes does make some sense in terms of punishment within Hell at this degree. Great article to find, Rico!