Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Medea so far......

My overall question for y'all in this blog post is ..... Do you like or dislike the character Medea as of right now (before finishing the play)? Personally, I feel super bad for her because of the whole Jason left her for the new Princess of Corinth situation. Also, he kind of just left her there to support herself and their two sons without his help at all. He just left to make a new life for himself and doesn't even look back to his family he has already made. So, I like her and feel bad for her in that sense. But on the other hand, I don't really like her plan. I don't think killing Jason, Kreon, and the Princess will get her very far or solve any of her problems. I mean she was already supposed to be exiled but she begged for one more day and she got it. So she already is not on Kreon's "good side." Her plan is to kill them on this day and have her revenge. Not the smartest idea but I guess she is so in love she didn't know what else to do. So, what do y'all think about Medea as of right now?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with you Malorie. I feel very sympathetic toward Medea. She clearly loved Jason enough to destroy her own family and leave her own country. It is honestly a tragedy in its own that he left her. I feel do, however, feel like he does deserve some sort of punishment. I was kind of rooting for Medea to do something to Jason, it is just unfortunate that it has to involve the death of her children as well. But in the end, even if she kills her children, I still wouldn't feel that bad as long as there is justice is some way for her.

Unknown said...

I see your point Malorie, I do, but just for funsies, I'm going to play the devil's advocate. Obviously this story is about Medea and her hardships, but we seem to forget that Jason had his fair share of hardships too. Of course he's a man which already places him on top of the pyramid especially for his time, but he also was raised by a centaur on a mountain right after his father was killed by his uncle. The centaur was literally half the man his father was ;) He then has to go on a difficult journey in order to retrieve the throne that should've been his in the first place and take it back from his father's killer. And yes, Medea did help him achieve the golden fleece, but she offered, and I'm no relationship expert, but usually when you do a favor for someone, you do it out of the love and kindness from your heart, instead of constantly holding it over someone when they do wrong. Also, this whole marriage always seemed a little fishy. I mean, obviously Jason only married her because she helped him get the golden fleece. Does this make what Jason did okay? No, of course not, just like Jason's wrong doing (which was considered normal during this time) doesn't make Medea's actions okay either. Medea, being as intelligent as she is should've seen this coming.