Saturday, January 12, 2019

Rococo at Schönbrunn Palace!

If you remember our assigned reading in the Arts and Ideas book last week, we read a little bit about some of the art styles during the enlightenment period. One of them mentioned was Rococo. The style originated in Paris in the 18th century, but spread into Germany and Austria. The book gave an example of an elegant place where lots of Rococo styled art was located. That place was in the Schönbrunn Palace in Vienna, Austria. I actually went to that palace over the break and got to see all the amazing paintings and sculptures that decorated the interior of the palace. Very pretty! While I wasn’t allowed to take photos inside, here are some pics I took from the outside. I did get to make some apple streudal there which was amazing.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful pictures, Benjamin! I can't believe that you took these because they look so professional! I think that when you have the opportunity to actually see the buildings and walk around in the setting of your reading, it increases your comprehension and understanding because you can accurately visualize the events taking place in what you are reading. I had the opportunity to visit Jerusalem a few years ago and afterwards, for each reading at church or chapel, I understood the events taking place better mainly because I had actually been there and took the same walks as Jesus or one of his apostles.

Farah Wells said...

I agree with you, Sam! There is a much greater feeling to understanding a topic when there is a visual representation to accompany it, especially one as moving and significant as a giant building in a foreign country! And to tie this to something we are reading gives the work a larger purpose, in my opinion. Great pictures, Ben!