Saturday, January 12, 2019

Class Discussion Continued: Living Forever, Afterlives


I was thinking more about what we said in class regarding living forever and love; I think love would definitely evolve a different meaning than what we think of it as today. I wonder if people would begin to see themselves as different people, or kind of split themselves into different personalities as time changed them. Maybe love would be between two certain versions of two people. I do agree that limited time makes things more special; maybe people would try and erase their memories so they could start over like they were a new person. I wonder how limitless time would impact memory in terms of having the space to remember things. If we lived 1000 years, would we remember people we met in the beginning? In the TV show "The Good Place", everyone is assigned a soul mate. That is supposed to be the person they are best compatible with and will spend eternity with. I wonder if after so long you would just kind of see the other person as an extension of yourself, or maybe love them for different reasons than you did at first, or just grow apart. I was also thinking about the idea of living forever on earth and the idea of having an afterlife; having an afterlife is kind of like living forever, but just in a different world, I suppose. Maybe the kind of magical or spiritual element to an afterlife would be the piece that would allow humans to be happy and not desire more or change.

No comments: