Saturday, February 10, 2018

The Trio in Hell

So the number three is significant in many of the works we’ve read so far (The Inferno, The Metamorphosis, et cetera).  Of course, it’s also significant in No Exit, primarily in the form of the three sinners in Hell.  We also see the number three in the number of victims of Estelle (two women, one man) and Inez (husband, lover, child).

Interesting how all three of these characters share at least one sin - adultery.  I think they all have different motives, though.  Garcin cheats because he’s tied up in his own lust, Estelle because she wants to feel wanted, and Inez because…well, she’s a bit complicated as well, but I’d say she sleeps with her cousin’s wife partly because she just wants to feel like she owns someone else.  A bit creepy, kind of like the Underground Man.

All three of these characters are also despicable in their own ways.  Garcin at some points seems like the most redeemable of the bunch, until you remember he beat his wife and made her serve drinks to him and another woman in bed.  Now that’s just disgusting.  I can’t believe he even has the nerve to say he doesn’t regret his actions.  I think he truly does feel guilty, but doesn’t want to face his guilt.  Well, too bad, Garcin!  Have fun spending the rest of eternity trying to avoid your sins!  I just have very little sympathy for this horrible person.  He tries to act all high and mighty (“I saved my wife from the gutter, you see”) but in reality he’s just as bad as everyone else.  This guy seriously needs to own up to his actions and feel some remorse for what he’s done to his wife.  Honestly, I’m kind of relieved he’s dead so he can’t abuse his wife anymore.

Then there’s Inez.  Inez is a little bit weird.  She just kind of creeps me out.  Who sleeps with their cousin’s spouse?!?  It’s like she feels some sort of need to own other people.  Again, I can see some similarities to the Underground Man, because her concept of love is very twisted—then again, so is everyone else’s in the room.

Finally, Estelle.  I get that she didn’t want to have the baby, but I don’t get how she could bring herself to kill a child.  She kind of reminds me of Edna from The Awakening, maybe because of the scene with the ocean and death.  Then again, Edna didn’t kill a baby. 

Those were just some of the thoughts running around in my head about No Exit.  What do y’all think of the characters?

No comments: