Wednesday, February 7, 2018

The Bronze Sculpture

The bronze sculpture honestly bothers me a bit. I feel like No Exit is such an intentional play with very direct symbols, such as the couches and the bell, but the sculpture just kind of sits there.

The one thing that makes sense for me is for it to represent that weight of finality. Nobody can can change their ending or move their sculpture, they must go on existing in their hell just as the bronze sculpture must go on existing in their room, meaningless and inconsequential.

But that's just a theory.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think you bring up a good point. When I think of the bronze statue, I think it refers to the weight of guilt on one's conscience. More than once, Garcin thinks about lifting the statue and freeing himself of his burdens; however, he cannot. For all three characters, the weight of their sins and lives will forever haunt their minds. Moreover, the three of them will continue being with each other and, thus, will have to relive their pasts constantly. There is (wait for it...) no exit to their actions in life. Also, I think the bronze statue serves as a constant reminder that their sins and their present condition are eternal.