Saturday, April 9, 2016

Hindu Gods

I decided to do a "recap" post going over the information of the Hindu gods and goddesses we learned the other day just for studying purposes later down the road.
Hanuman

Hanuman:
-the king of the monkeys
-renowned for courage, power, and faithful, selfless service
-major hero in the Ramyana
Ganesh

Vishnu:
-the "preserver"
-keeps chaos from happening

Brahma:
-the "creator"
-earth spirit

Shiva:
Vishnu, Brahma, Shiva
-the "destroyer"
-in his domestic role, he is a family man

Parvati:
-Shiva's wife (better half of Shiva)
-goddess of fertility, love and devotion
-gentle, nurturing

Ganesh:
-Shiva's son
-elephant-headed god of wisdom and learning
-remover of obstacles

Ram:
-incarnation of Vishnu
-suppresses supernatural powers and doesn't remind people all the time that he's a god
Ravana

Ravana:
Parvati
-a negative influence, trickster
-10-headed king of demons
Ram

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is very much appreciated! I really enjoyed this day in class because it reminded me of what I learned in Religion when I took the class in 10th grade. It also reminded me of my friends Vennela (many of you may remember her from middle school). She was a Hindu and would always talk about her beliefs. I remember her telling me all about Ganesh and how she and her family prayed to him as their divine patron. Her entire family was quite devoted, having icons of various gods throughout their home and in their rooms. I love Hinduism, because it reminds me somewhat of mythology - not so much because I think of it as fake, but more so because it is a religion I am not familiar with and am very interested in learning more about.