Thursday, February 20, 2014

Coincidence? I think not.

I wasn't crazy when I said this piece from The Rite of Spring reminded me of the 1960 production of Peter Pan, both choreographically and musically. If you go to around the 1:50 mark of The Rite of Spring and around the .15 mark in the Tiger Lily video, the similarities are impossible to miss. 

The Rite of Spring
Igor Stravinsky
1913


Peter Pan- Tiger Lily's Song 
1960

I may or may not have made my theatre debut in Kehoe France's spring production of Peter Pan as Tiger Lily's second in-command in 8th grade. The character was so insignificant that I actually can't even remember the name. And yes, we preformed almost the exact choreography from the video above.

(Bonus: Miranda was the crocodile.)

3 comments:

Miranda Martinez said...

Not gonna lie I was obviously the star of the show.

Amy Clement said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy Clement said...

I have very fond memories of this Kehoe production. I played John, and I distinctly remember convincing the sound board operator (Julian Paz) to turn down my mic during my solo in the lullaby so no one would have to hear my screeching. But I do agree with you, Brooke, that the two are similar. Obviously Stravinsky's work was so influential that it was even emulated or drawn upon years later in children's musicals.