Monday, August 19, 2013

One Hundred Years of Solitude

     I read One Hundred Years of Solitude during my first week in Costa Rica. It was the perfect book to read while I was there because Costa Rica is a Spanish speaking country, and the book, obviously, was written by a Spanish speaking person. I found myself confused at times while reading; I would have to stop and remind myself that the novel was unique because it was written by a Columbian. Since I was speaking spanish everyday, I almost forgot the fact that the book was foreign.
      I thought it was a slightly easier read than The Tin Drum. It was easier to get into since it was like a Spanish soap opera due to the characters constant involvement in dramatic affairs. My dad actually read One Hundred Years of Solitude during our second week of vacation and got annoyed with the constant havoc within the family. I, on the other hand, absolutely love literature that doesn't slow down. The "slow parts" of a novel are impossible to get through. For that reason, I didn't enjoy The Tin Drum until about one-fourth of the way into the book when I felt the speed pick up.

No comments: