Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Pitiful Irony

I found some lines of Tristan and Iseult's dialogue very intriguing. The lines of special interest to me are the ones when they realize King Mark is listening in the tree. I've included a couple of short excerpts from page 65:

"But the felons of this land made him believe this lie, for it is easy to deceive the loyal heart." -Iseult
"The cowards would remove from the King's side all those who love him; they have succeeded and now mock him." -Tristan

I felt a lot of pity toward King Mark because as Tristan and Iseult are saying all these remarks about others deceiving him, when it is actually them who are deceiving the king. This irony is so obvious to the reader as Tristan and Iseult know that they are manipulating the king because he has a "loyal heart" and they are "now mock(ing) him."

4 comments:

ParkerC said...

Yes, there is a lot of irony in the book. I think it makes the story a lot better, as they focus on the 2 main characters and everyone else is kind of secondary. They are so in love that they just don't care and they will pretty much do anything to be together.

Ravin S said...

Yeah, I thought that Iseult was very quick on her feet in this scene. I myself was just waiting for the King to come down and catch the lovers in the act, but instead Iseult completely surprised me. She lead the King in a totally different direction and I don't even know if I would've been able to do that. I admired her very much when she was deceiving him, but at the same time felt bad for Mark.

Christine Catinis said...

I think King Mark is a very interesting character. To me, he is the epitome of a perfect king. He is loyal, kind, understanding, and harsh when he needs to be. I feel like a lot of people overlook his role in the story.

alyb said...

Tristen is also a deciever to some extent. When he goes to Iseult the fairs lands he makes up a stroy as to why he was there. He said he was a spanish sailor. Also, he made up a story that he was just a commoner when he was first at king marks land. I think that this kind of justified the act of deciving.